1 The Muppet Mindset: The Great Muppet Survey: Erica C.

Dec 12, 2013

The Great Muppet Survey: Erica C.

Answers from Erica C.

1.   Who are your three favorite characters from The Muppet Show, Muppets Tonight, The Jim Henson Hour, the Muppet movies, etc. and why?
It’s a very tricky question because one of the things that I love about The Muppet characters is they have such a huge cast. Though if I were to pick three, they would be...
Kermit: I’m not sure why, exactly. I think it's how Kermit can seem very human. Whether he's having a massive rage when life isn’t working or following his dreams no matter what is in his way, he always manages to get around it. Kermit can be quite spiritual and philosophical and very human.
Gonzo: I love Gonzo’s design, it’s very strange and unique. Gonzo is Gonzo and that’s what makes him special. Perhaps I can relate to him a bit of loving the wild, weird and spontaneous. You're not alone Gonzo.
Zondra: Sure, there has been a long history of female Muppets but I just love Zondra because she’s very punk and rebellious! A great character who unfortunately only appeared on The Jim Henson Hour’s MuppeTelevision and Muppets Tonight. It would be nice to see her again.

2.   Who are your three favorite characters from Sesame Street and why?
Well being a fan of classic Sesame Street, my favorites sort of go into pairs.
Ernie and Bert: They have always been my all time favorite and I’ve always loved them even before I learned how to talk. My mother claimed that I learn to talk through my Ernie and Bert puppets. I had Ernie and Bert dolls galore. Even as a young adult, whenever I watch those classic sketches, not only do I know the dialogue and still laugh like crazy but I just want to jump into the screen and hug them.
Honkers and Dingers: They are very unique Muppets and I had the Honker dolls growing up. I even tried to honk the nose of a Honker when one came close to me at Sesame Place.
Yip Yip Martians: They were quite weird and wonderful. I remember years ago I was trying to figure out how their mouth moved, now I know they are rod puppets.

3.   Who are your three favorite characters from Fraggle Rock and why?
Begoony: He’s very cute and sensitive. Sure he seemed very insecure and no one really wanted anything to do with him, especially when he didn’t want Mokey to leave him. Poor Begoony had a huge crush on her. I used to be exactly like Begoony before I gain self-confidence in myself.
Red: Red reminds me of this very hyper yet sensitive friend that I knew in high school.
Traveling Matt: Traveling Matt became more interesting to me when I saw “Born to Wonder,” when he was this very enthusiastic Fraggle who just wanted to be just like his Uncle Traveling Gobo. Though the sad thing is that I think some of the angry mannerisms sort of rubbed off on him later when he and his nephew Gobo had arguments. But I’m very happy that in the final season, they sort of made up. Gobo was a lot like his Uncle in a lot of ways, only difference is he doesn’t trip and fall all the time.

4.   What is your favorite television program starring any of Jim Henson's creations (e.g. The Muppet Show, Sesame Street, Fraggle Rock, Dinosaurs, etc.) and why?
Still to this day, The Muppet Show is my favorite show of all time. It’s my kind of humor and my kind of rock music. I’m very old school when it comes to my entertainment tastes. In other words I still think monsters eating other muppets and explosions are funny.

5.   What is your favorite Muppet movie and why?
I would say that The Great Muppet Caper would be my favorite Muppet Movie because there’s so many puns and slapstick and even some really great visual gags in there too. It’s The Muppets at their wildest. One of the best projects The Muppets have ever done in my opinion.

6.   What is your favorite Muppet/Sesame/Fraggle song and why?
It’s very hard to say because Jack Parnell’s direction with the music on The Muppet Show was AMAZING. I loved the brass instruments and the wild drums and the occasional tambourine. Almost like a Dixieland Psychedelic Rock in a way with a hint of Broadway. Though the songs were covered by The Muppets and weren’t Muppet created songs. Though if I had to pick one, it’s "Nightlife" from The Great Muppet Caper. The lyrics are beautiful because I cherish that old fashioned going out to dance until the sun comes up culture. It’s wild, it’s hip, It’s Dr. Teeth and The Electric Mayhem at their best!

7.   If you could have dinner with any living Muppet performer who would you choose and why?
Frank Oz. Not only is my favorite character Bert, but I love how he describes the Muppet style humor as being Irreverent Anarchy and how The Muppets aren’tcCute as well as how be much prefers the more cutting edge Muppets and I couldn’t agree more. I would love to learn about the behind the scenes, the writing, character building, EVERYTHING!

8.   If you could tell Jim Henson one thing, what would it be?
I would love to learn how to be a boss just like him. How to manage doing multiple projects at once, how to develop a very creative and close team of people who cared about each other and what they did.

9.   If the President called you and asked to discuss Muppet projects, what would you tell him was the "Greatest Muppet Moment of All Time"?
WOW, what a very unique question. Uh, first if it’s the President of The United States, I’d be questioning what the heck was going on first. If it’s the President of Muppet Studios at Disney, I would share my love of the classic Muppet humor and rock music and how important it is to me as a classic fan.

10. What's the name of that song?
Linoleum!

11.   If a judge ruled that Grover had to be your personal assistant for a month, what jobs would you have him do?
Pull bad pranks on Mr. Johnson and have him capture it on video.

12. In your opinion, what is the worst Muppet production ever made?
Muppets From Space. I just wished everything just stuck to Jerry Juhl’s original script and didn’t get Hollywoodized with toilet humor jokes and the new ending saying Gonzo’s an alien. Sorry to seem blunt but just my opinion.

13. Who is one celebrity you would love to see cameo in the next Muppet movie?
Gene Wilder

14. If you could take a picture with any Muppet, who would you choose and how would you pose?
Begoony or Ernie and Bert. I’d hug them if I’m allowed.

15. What is your favorite piece of Muppet merchandise that you own? (Feel free to include a picture!)
Probably my Kermit hand puppet from Fisher Price. He still is on my top of my desk in my apartment.






The Muppet Mindset by Ryan Dosier, muppetmindset@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Muppet Whatnot Workshop-Only Available at FAO.com
The Muppet Whatnot Workshop-Only Available at FAO.combanner